How a people view the afterlife says much about how they view themselves, their role in a religious universe, their relationship with G-d, and how they view their Earthly life. In this video, Rabbi Friedman explores and explains the Jewish belief in the afterlife.
Rabbi Friedman is a renown Jewish Rabbi, inspirational speaker, and teacher who imparts wisdom with no-nonsense and gentle humor. He offers guidance about how to live a Jewish life full of meaning. In the video, “The Soul and the Afterlife: Where do We Go from Here”, he discusses the Jewish belief, Hell, life after death, the nature of the soul, and so on. He begins with a few charming anecdotes, which illustrate the fluidity of belief about the afterlife that exists in Judaism, and goes on to examine closely the different aspects of this subject.
We will summarize some of the questions brought up and discussed by the Rabbi.
Watch the video to hear his answers.
- Is there life after death?
- Is there death after life?
- What is the role of the soul in life and death?
- What is the relationship between what happens to the body and the soul after the death of the body?
- What, if anything, lives on?
- Do Jews believe in the Resurrection? What is Resurrected? Is it the body and the soul?
- What is the role of the body in reward or punishment after the Resurrection?
- What is Hell? Is it bodily or does it affect only the soul, only the body, or both?
How does being godly on earth affect our eternal state?
- What are the fires of Hell? Are they bodily or only affecting the soul?
- What are the different mourning periods, and what role do they play in Jewish life.
- What is the goal of mourning? What is death like for the departed soul in Heaven?
- What is the relationship between sitting Shiva and the other aspects of mourning and the journey of the departed soul?
- What is a soul? What is its relationship with G-d? What are its characteristics?
- What are the 10 faculties of with which G-d functions as a creator?
- How is the human soul similar to G-d?
- Do we have a single uniform soul or does the soul have two distinct aspects, one godly and one human?
- What are guilt and conscience, and their relationship with the soul and the body?
- What is the relationship of the Mitzvah and the Torah with the soul and the body?
- How does the godliness of Jews change and affect the world?
- What is the mission of the soul here on Earth?
- Where does our faith in G-d come from?
- What are near-death experiences?
- How does the soul leave the body after death?
Enjoy the wonderful storytelling skills of Rabbi Friedman as he illuminates this foundational belief system for Jews and non-Jews alike. There is universal wisdom, as well as Jewish-specific education, to be harvested from this video lesson about life after death and the nature of the soul.